
Ok so I was looking through the Yukon News the other day and came across this gem. It's freakin' halarious and pretty spot on!
STOP or Get Out of My Way: I have the luxury of working in a pretty great office overlooking a busy intersection in town. The fantastic thing about this intersection (for viewing purposes only) is the lack of lights and the presence of the stop sign instead. Now, for the times in the day that I decide to forget about what I'm working on and stare out the window...more often than I'd like to admit...this intersection fully backs up this "proposal".
More times than not, I see people drive up to these stop signs, not even pretend to brake, but just plow right through. It's just interesting how people in the Yukon believe they just "know the streets" and the rules don't fully apply to them. Coincidental to the fact I read in the paper that Whitehorse has the most vehicle fatalities per capita in Canada? I think not!
4-Way Dash Through: We had one...I repeat...ONE main 4-way stop in downtown Whitehorse and this proved too difficult for many of the drivers. I had to use that stop quite regularily and each time was unique. Either people weren't paying attention, or believed they had the right of way because they had the bigger vehicle, or were just too timid for the road. Regardless, lights were added and now turning left coming from downtown is a pain in the ass! Good job City of Whitehorse, add lights but don't add a turning signal...so much fun at 5pm!
Close to Store Parking: I have personally been tempted to park in these spots. I mean come on, they are always empty and when I just need to run into a store I wonder if it would really make a difference. You'll be glad to know I have yet to succum to my temptation.
Speed up Ahead: I'm usually pretty good with the pedestrians around town...but the winter of course makes it so much more difficult! And then you get those street rockstars that decide they are going to walk up to the corner and just keep up going. But wait! They put their arm out in the process so it's totally legit! Eff that!! Your magic arm is not going to stop my car from skidding on the ice and hitting you, you freakin' dumbass!! Stop on the corner like normal people and wait until it's safe to cross!
Overall, these proposed signs are fantastic! But just think about what would happen if they were really put into place. Imagine how far us Yukoners would push the "meaning" then!

Slow Children at Play-- you're damn right they're slow! haha
ReplyDeleteWarning- Old People X-ing
Those are two that I love seeing!