Thursday, March 26, 2009

Life in General...


God I am bad at keeping up with this!

Starting Tuesday morning, I have decided to try and live with more of an open heart. I'm hoping this will work out for me, but who's to say? You may be asking what brought this on. Well here you go...

When I was at work on Monday night I had to help someone who I think was having a heart attack. This man had collapsed and was blue all over and not breathing for an extended period of time. I had called the ambulance and tried to stay as calm as possible afterwards (which is incredibly hard when you are expecting the worst). Running back and forth between the entrance and where the man was, waiting for the ambulance and trying to explain to others what was happening (as I really had no idea) proved to be very stressful and incredibly difficult.

Luckily there were many helpful people around to lend a hand and their expertise (CPR and First Aid), and thankfully by the time they reached this man he had started breathing again and didn't need CPR. The ambulance finally arrived, which really isn't as long as I felt it was at the time, and took care of the situation. As far as I know he is ok right now, hopefully recovering where he has the help he needs.

Everything was adrenaline based during the time. I was scared but mostly moving quickly to get things accomplished and sorted out. It was only about an hour and a bit afterwards that I really felt the intensity of the situation and started to feel more traumatized than relieved.

So now, when looking at how real things can be without you knowing it, I am starting to work on taking advantage of the time I have and the people around me. Why not say something you would hold in before? Maybe the results will surprise you. Maybe telling someone how much they mean to you can make their day, or week, and no doubt it will certainly make you feel better.

Now, I'm sure I will lose this new look on life as time goes on, but as for now, I'm going to embrace it and love the crap out of all of you! I suggest trying it out for yourself!!
On another note: I am posting some interesting information on strokes. Not to worry, it's not all scientific! The information may help you in the future, and really it's just good to know these things!


1 comment:

  1. Wow that must have been so frightening! I am impressed at your actions, I'm sure it helped the man, moving so quickly to his assistance. Kind of makes you think eh? Life is too short.

    ReplyDelete