Thursday, February 26, 2009

Parking in Downtown Whitehorse

As I sit looking outside my office window, I am reminded that the loonie I deposited in the parking meter at 1:30pm has long since expired. I just paid off two parking tickets and am not eager to head outside and pry the newest one out from under the fallen snow and my windsheld wiper, let alone figure out when I am going to pay this one!

I remember when the parking meters used to need only a quarter for 30 minutes. Now a quarter will get you 15 lousy minutes! Don't even get me started on how the dimes and nickles aren't even relevent in the whole "parking extravaganza" anymore. Now what am I going to use them for?!

There is always the other option of the "free parking" which is typically a two hour limit as well. There I have to decide if I should get outside and find a new spot for my car, or just pray to the gods that Mr. Parking Meter Man hasn't noticed that my car has been sitting there for 8 straight hours!

For the amount of people who work downtown, whether it be for Government, Tourism, privately owned businesses, etc...you would think the city would look at the facts and maybe cut us all some slack!

Once summer rolls around and the tourists rear their RV-lovin' heads...well...let's just save that for another special day, shall we?

1 comment: